Out-of-State Ceremonies

Reference Number: 

If a marriage license issued by a county clerk in Tennessee is used to solemnize a marriage outside Tennessee, the marriage and parties, their property and their children have the same status as if the marriage were performed in Tennessee.  T.C.A. § 36-3-103(c).   However, the officials who are authorized under T.C.A. § 36-3-301 to solemnize marriages in Tennessee are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies outside Tennessee.  Op. Tenn. Att'y Gen. 15-47 (June 3, 2015).