Reference Number: CTAS-372
Under T.C.A. § 57-5-606, the ABC will certify a beer vendor as a “responsible vendor” upon compliance with the following:
- All clerks who sell beer for off-premises consumption must successfully complete a responsible vendor training program and become certified within 61 days after being employed by the vendor, and the vendor must verify with the ABC prior to employing a clerk that the clerk is eligible for certification.
- Each clerk must be issued a name badge with the clerk’s first name clearly visible, and must wear the badge at all times while on duty.
- The vendor must provide employees with instruction approved by the ABC which includes the laws regarding the sale of beer for off-premises consumption, methods for recognizing and dealing with underage customers, and procedures for refusing to sell beer to underage customers and for dealing with intoxicated customers.
- The vendor must require all certified clerks to attend at least one annual meeting at which the vendor disseminates updated information prescribed by the ABC.
- The vendor must maintain employment and training records.