Reference Number: CTAS-640
The criminal statutes relating to misconduct of public officials and employees are found in T.C.A. §§ 39-16-401 et seq. “Public servant” is broadly defined for these purposes as a person elected, selected, appointed, employed or otherwise designated as one of the following:
- An officer, employee or agent of government;
- A juror or grand juror;
- An arbitrator, referee, or other person who is authorized by law or private written agreement to hear or determine a cause or controversy;
- An attorney at law or notary public when participating or performing a governmental function;
- A candidate for nomination or election to public office; or
- A person who is performing a governmental function under claim of right although not legally qualified to do so.
T.C.A. § 39-16-401.